The award-winning Teach Me To Grow Healthy (TMTGH) program is a pilot project that emphasizes the importance of nurturing, self-sufficiency and education. TMTGH seeks to create a usable community-oriented, culturally sensitive program that improves the exercise, nutritional support, mental health and holistic care of Indigenous and Non-Native older adult and youth communities.
Program Goals and Vision:
We’re a community-oriented, culturally sensitive program that improves the exercise, nutritional support, mental health and holistic care of Indigenous and non-Native older adult and youth communities.
The heart of the program is an intergenerational community garden growing indigenous food. This volunteer garden includes a co-located hoop house for the raised gardens and a greenhouse for seeds and starter plants. We offer gardening and nutrition education to the community throughout the year; emphasizing the use of Indigenous foods, as well as the importance of nurturing, self-sufficiency and education.
- We’re reclaiming ancestral foods that typify the Pre-Colombian lifestyle
- We use a variety of organic, non-GMO vegetables
- We use the most cost-effective and efficient indigenous, traditional and eco-safe modern farming techniques
- We educate and teach the importance and role of traditional foods in health and wellness
Our intergenerational community garden site provides access to everyone, including people living with disabilities, elders, and youth. Our outreach expands through Reno, Sparks, Washoe County, and Carson City, and includes:
- American Indian/Alaskan Native Urban Indian population
- SNAP-Ed eligible senior communities
- Local food-insecure populations/ Food pantries
- People living with disabilities
Our community garden is a very welcoming place with many opportunities for volunteers!
Opportunities for volunteers:
- Marketing/Social Media
- Research/Data Collection
- Volunteer Recruitment and Coordination
- And more!
Please contact us at 775-237-8375 or TMTGH.CHA@gmail.com for more information.
Center for Healthy Aging is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization and an equal opportunity provider.